FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (March 7,2013)
Bill Vint | PBA Media Relations
Professional Bowlers Association | 615 Second Ave., Suite680 | Seattle, WA 98104
Tel: 206.332.9688 | Fax: 206.332.9722 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cell: 414.339.0404
PBA Spare Shots
NEXT UP FOR XTRA FRAME: TOC, PBA50 TOUR, MILWAUKEE SUMMERSWING COVERAGE
Following a mid-March break in the schedule, PBA’s onlinebowling channel, Xtra Frame, will resume action with a busy spring schedule,starting with live coverage of all qualifying and match play rounds of theBarbasol PBA Tournament of Champions from Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis, March27-29.
TOC qualifying round coverage will begin at 9:40 a.m. and4:40 p.m. on Wednesday, and 9:40 a.m. Thursday. Round-robin match play coveragewill begin at 4:45 p.m. Thursday, and 10:45 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Friday.
Following the TOC, Xtra Frame will provide extensivestart-to-finish coverage of the PBA50 Tour, kicking off the 2013 schedule withthe PBA50 Pasco County Suncoast Open benefittingWounded Warriors, hosted by Lane Glo Bowl in New Port Richey, Fla., April14-17.
Xtra Frame also will be on hand toprovide live coverage of:
● PBA50 Sun Bowl in The Villagespresented by Hammer at Spanish Springs Lanes, April 20-23;
● PBA50 Miller High Life Classicpresented by Columbia from George Pappas Victory Lanes in Mooresville, N.C.,May 5-8;
● Preliminary rounds of the PBAMilwaukee Summer Swing, May 20-30;
● Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open presentedby Storm, Suncoast Bowling Center, Las Vegas, June 2-7;
● United States Bowling CongressSenior Masters, South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas, June 9-14.
Xtra Frame, PBA’s online bowling channel, is available bysubscription on a monthly ($7.99) or annual ($64.99) basis. To sign up, visitpba.com and click on the Xtra Frame link. Mobile device users also are remindedthe Xtra Frame Mobile App is free to download throughGoogle Play or at the Apple App Store.
KENT’S OUT, BACK IN TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS FIELD
Jason Sterner’s victory in the PBA Don Carter Classicearned him his first berth in the Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions, andknocked recently-elected PBA Hall of Famer Doug Kent out of the field.But almost immediately, fellow PBA Hall of Famer Brian Voss – who tookKent’s place on the “bubble” – declined his invitation, so Kent is back in thefield of 48 PBA Tour champions.
Kent, who will be inducted into the PBA Hall of Fame alongwith Danny Wiseman as part of TOC Week in Indianapolis, can still bebumped out of the field if a new PBA International Tour champion is crowned ineither the Kuwait Open (March 13-17 in Kuwait City) or the Brunswick EuroChallenge (March 19-24 in Munich, Germany).
REMINDER: TICKETS ON SALE FOR TOC, PBA HALL OF FAMEDINNER IN INDIANAPOLIS
Tickets are now on sale to the public for the PBA Hall ofFame Dinner at 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 30, at Indianapolis Marriott North(Marion Ballroom). This year’s inductees are Baltimore’s Danny Wisemanand Doug Kent of Newark, N.Y. Tickets are offered at $125 per person(attendees must be 21 or older) and include cocktail hour with hand-passed hors d'oeuvres, an open bar throughout the eveningand dinner. Business attire is expected. To order tickets, visit: http://pbahalloffamedinner.eventbrite.com/
Other tickets for PBA Tournament of Champions week also areavailable. Tickets for the live ESPN finals on March 31, as well as the finalsof the PBA League Elias Cup, range from $10 to $60. Daily tickets range from$10 to $40. Pro-am entry fees are $55 for the Junior Base Package and $75for Adult Base Package (add $100 to either package to upgrade to obtain a newbowling ball). To purchase tickets, visit: http://tofctickets.eventbrite.com/
REMINDER: EBAY AUCTION TO BENEFITTONY REYES FAMILY CONTINUES
ViseInserts and The Chrisman Foundation are conducting an ongoing eBay auction throughmid-April to raise funds for the family of the late PBA Tour champion TonyReyes. To access the Reyes auction, click here:
Direct donations to the Reyesfamily fund also will be accepted through links which can be found on the ViseInserts website (viseinserts.com). In addition, Vise Inserts will bedonating $20 to the Reyes Family Fundraiser for every Pop Grip Starter Setsold to pro shops before March 31.
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP: WEISS, WODKA CAPTURE TITLES
● Former PBA touring player andnine-time regional champion Randy Weiss of Columbia, S.C., defeated PBAHall of Famer Tom Baker of King, N.C., 231-191, to win the PBA PensacolaSouth Open at New Liberty Lanes in Pensacola, Fla., on Sunday, March 3.
Weiss posted a 9-3 match playrecord to qualify second for the stepladder finals and defeated Rick Langtonof Tallahassee, Fla., 214-202, to advance to the title match. He earned $5,000.
● Dave Wodka of Henderson, Nev., defeated MichaelHaugen Jr. of Carefree, Ariz., 242-192, to win the PBA Ebonite West Open atPalm Spring Lanes in Cathedral, Calif., on Sunday. Wodka, who earned $2,500,has now won 15 regional titles.
● Kenny Parks of Hammond, Ind., defeated PeteWeber of St. Ann, Mo., 179-170, to win the joint PBA50 ShowtimeMidwest/Central Open at Showtime Lanes in Virden, Ill., on Sunday, March 3. Thetitle was Parks’ first of the year and the 14th of his career. He also earned$1,500.
Next on the PBA Regional calendar is the PBA ThunderbowlOver/Under Doubles Midwest Open in Council Bluffs, Iowa, March 8-10.
The March 15-17 schedule includes the joint PBA50 JohnWegner Allstate Midwest/Central Open (two one-day reduced entry fee events) atLiberty Lanes in Carpentersville, Ill.; the joint PBA Hubbard Central/East Openat Bell Wick Bowl in Hubbard, Ohio; and the PBA50 Franklin South Open presentedby Motiv at Franklin (Va.) Bowling Center.
Over the March 22-24 weekend, the East Region will host thePBA50 Rossi Lanes Eastern Open in Elmira, N.Y.; the South Region will host thePBA50 Fayetteville (N.C.) South Open at Fayetteville Lanes, and theWest/Northwest Regions will combine for the Caveman Bowl Northwest/West Openpresented by DV8 in Grants Pass, Ore.
Closing out the month, the March 29-31 regional calendarincludes the joint PBA Best Deal Auto Central/Midwest Open along with the PBA50Bowling Gift.com Central/Midwest Open at Georgetown Bowl in Ft. Wayne, Ind.;and the West Region will conduct a non-champions event along with amember/non-member doubles tournament, both presented by Etonic, at South PointBowling Center in Las Vegas.
For complete PBA regional schedule and entry information,visit pba.com and click on “Regional Tours” under the Schedules tab.
● Entries are now being accepted on pba.com for thefirst events of the PBA50 Tour season, which kicks off April 14-17 with thePBA50 Pasco County Suncoast Open, benefitting Wounded Warriors, at Lane GloBowl in New Port Richey, Fla. To enter, visit pba.com, click on the “Schedules”drop-down menu and click on the appropriate tournament under the “PBA50 Tour”link.
# # #